To be honest, I have never been known as being the late one to events. This I know is hard to believe knowing that I have Indonesian heritage and one thing Indonesians are known for is "jem karet" (lit = rubber time) i.e. tardiness. Anyway, I will endeavour to bring you up to date with what has been happening to me over the past 6 months. (What other perfect way to procrastinate - my barrier exams for my 5th year medical exams are coming up around the corner *yikes!*)
Figuring that I would spend the year holed up in Wagga, it wasn't hard to persuade myself to apply to be part of a delegation of 20 medical students from around Australia to spend a week somewhere in Asia. This year chances had it that the conference would be held in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Now, the only reasons one ought to go to Jakarta is 1) if you have family or 2) for business purposes. Lucky for me, this trip fits into both categories.
Fast forward half a year later, 1 overweight bag (yes this was pre-departure! and yes it included a 5kg box of cherries and 3kg of honey for relatives some of whom I wasn't sure how I was related to...) and I arrive in hot, humid, bustling Jakarta. I come in at perfect time for it's my dearest cousin's birthday! And to celebrate she has booked Sunday Brunch at Hotel Mulia...
The glorious entry into the restaurant
The beautiful interior, decked out in colonial French style
Unfortunately it clashed with my conference registration and day 1 plans, but in life family does come first...and in retrospect I would have killed myself had I known what I would miss out on - unlimited appetizers, a 4 main dish per person meal and unlimited desserts (high tea quality!).
Yes, and all that for the Australian equivalent of a standard high tea (~AUD40).
Some of the appetisers to choose from...
...and yet more appetisers!
And after stuffing yourself with so many appetisers, don't forget to leave some space for the mains!
It is never polite to turn down desserts...1 of the 3 dessert plates I brought back to indulge in ;) (no judging please!)
Overall, the unlimited appetisers and desserts were pretty much a dream-come-true (did I forget to mention that there was a tower of PANNACOTTA?!?! or the unlimited stash of smoked salmon for you smoked salmon lovers out there). The mains were quite a let-down though, the originality, taste and execution were actually below average. Not that I'm complaining - I'd just be happy stuffing my tummy silly with the delicious appetisers and desserts :)
- - -
http://www.theorient8.com/
+62 21 5753278
Hotel Mulia
Jl Asia Afrika Senayan
Jakarta 10270
Indonesia
What a stunning restaurant interior! And those desserts look incredible. A shame that the mains didn't impress but it sounds like there was plenty of other stuff to :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Lorraine! The benefits of an unlimited brunch means being able to fend off indecisiveness and choose as many appetisers/desserts (to more than make up for the lacklustre mains)! ;)
ReplyDeleteWOW! definitely one of places to go visit! all i can say is how can you still stay thin after eating all those desserts!
ReplyDeletefinally an update! you should join the hordes of the food bloggers ;) I'm sure you have tons of photos to backlog your posts, as well as interesting food in wagga :P
ReplyDeleteLol tepi, the only "interesting" food in Wagga currently is what Im cooking... interesting in a good or bad way, I'll leave up for you to decide! =p
ReplyDelete